No injuries were reported at the scene of a house fire in Aberdeen this morning after a couple of caregivers smelled smoke, then heard their smoke detectors, and evacuated.

Fire Chief Tom Hubbard said at the scene that smoke alarms saved lives today. He described the home, “One and a half story residence. Finished upstairs and down – very nicely finished. Four occupants, two caregivers, and two clients. The caregivers were awake, smelled and heard something upstairs, and then the smoke detectors sounded and they got everyone out of the house.”

Crews were called to the report of flames coming from the roof of the home in the 500 block of Simpson Avenue around 6:30 am Friday. Hubbard said when they arrived, “The whole upper ridgeline was on fire and all of the attic vents had flames coming out so we had a well-involved attic fire.”

He said the responding-Battalion Chief made the call for an aggressive interior attack, and crews were able to get the fire under control as they contained it to the attic.

The response emptied the Aberdeen Fire Hall down the road. Hubbard said they also had two responders from the Hoquiam Fire Department at the house fire, and five others from Aberdeen were called in to backfill the Aberdeen station in case another incident arose.

The home suffered smoke and water damage but thanks to the smoke detectors and the occupants’ quick actions it was saved and no one was injured.