The Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office and the Region 3 CIIT today provided a photograph of the suspect involved in the September 9 shooting in Aberdeen along with radio-traffic audio from the incident and a typed description of the events on that audio. They also reported that a gun was recovered near the suspect as a part of the evidence gathered by investigators.
The following is not the original photo supplied as that was embedded into a document with the complete press release that I’ve attached below.
The department said that the photo shows a gun in the right hand of the suspect during his confrontation with Aberdeen Police. The investigation is ongoing and authorities will continue to update the public with information as it becomes available.
This audio file of radio traffic during the incident was also released today. (graphic language)
|Explanation of the audio:|
| · There are two different female voices on the recording and both are dispatchers.|
· 2S2 is a Patrol Sergeant with the Aberdeen Police Department who initially observed and identified the suspect walking down the road and alerted another Aberdeen Police Officer (2P21) of his observations and location of Broadway and Heron Street. 2P21 advised that the suspect had a felony warrant for his arrest as he just ran him. 2P21 and 2P24 were going to clear their location and respond to Broadway and Heron to assist with the apprehension of suspect.
· 2S2 calls out with the suspect at Broadway and Heron Street and Dispatch acknowledges.
· 2S2 requests a 2nd unit and Dispatch does not understand the transmission and tells 2S2 to go ahead. Officers request 2nd units to assist when suspects are being uncooperative or combative during the contact. 2nd units often help calm the situation down or can assist in taking a combative person into custody.
· 2S2 calls out that suspect is running southbound on Broadway.
· 2S2 calls out that the suspect was reaching for his left pocket and did not know why. This is an Officer Safety concern. Officers are worried about suspect(s) pulling weapons (gun, knife) out of their pockets and assaulting the Officer with the weapon
· 2P24 calls out behind Scoops which is an ice cream establishment in the area.
· 2P24 calls out he is southbound towards State Street.
· 2P24 calls out he has a gun
· 2P24 calls out to drop the expletive gun
· 2P24 calls out a broken shots fired
· 2S2 calls out for emergency traffic and shots fired.
The Region 3 Critical Incident Investigations Team (CIIT) released the audio to provide the public with more information and to address incorrect assumptions made in social and media reports based on an incomplete review of surveillance video. Investigators hope to release additional video footage later this week which will also help clarify the details of the incident.
The Grays Harbor County Coroner’s Office released the name of the shooting victim on Tuesday. Deputy Coroner Tom Thompson said in a statement that 41-year-old Kristopher D. Fitzpatrick died Monday at 12:26 PM at Grays Harbor Community Hospital. He said Thursday that the cause of death was determined to be multiple gunshot wounds of the trunk and lower extremities, manner of death homicide.
After a video circulated on Facebook showing portions of the confrontation, Police Chief Steve Shumate said in a statement that “community concern about the details of the incident are expected and while there may be partial or unsourced video and/or comments made on social media, the authorities caution the public and media to avoid drawing conclusions until the investigation is completed.”
The department encourages anyone with knowledge of the incident to contact Detective Paul Logan at the Grays Harbor County Sheriffs Office at 360-964-1729.
The involved officer has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the investigation which continues.
Here is the update with the photo supplied.