No injuries were reported from a small fire that started in the clothes dryer of a Hoquiam home yesterday. Captain Matt Miller with the Hoquiam Fire Department tells us that a resident doing laundry Thursday afternoon heard funny noises from the laundry room and called 911 when they saw smoke coming from the dryer.

Crews responded to the 900 block of Maple Street, and after attempting to wet the fire with a handheld extinguisher they took the entire dryer outside as a precaution.

Miller reported no injuries, and only minor smoke and water damage in the laundry room area.

The National Fire Protection Association reports that the leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires is failure to clean them.

  • Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
  • Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
  • Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum.
  • Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time.
  • Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry, clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
  • Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
  • Make sure the right plug and outlet are used and that the machine is connected properly.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and don’t overload your dryer.
  • Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.