Three people were transferred to the Harborview Medical Center in Seattle this morning following a house fire in the 900 block of Duffy St., on the West end of Aberdeen. Lieutenant C. J. Chastain with the Aberdeen Police Department said it was reported just after 4 AM Aberdeen Police and Fire personnel responded to a report of flames visible on the 3-story residence. The Hoquiam Fire Department responded for mutual aid assistance.

At the time of the initial report, people were still in the residence working on escaping. In total, seven occupants escaped the fire. Firefighters arrived and began battling the fully involved structure fire, while aid personnel treated the residents. An 8-year old female, and 6 and 3-year old males (all residents of the home) were transported to the Grays Harbor Community Hospital. A 20-year old male from the home took himself to the Grays Harbor Community Hospital for treatment. The 20, 8 and 6-year olds were later transferred to Harborview for specialized care.

Battalion Chief Damon Lillybridge with the Aberdeen Fire Department said fire units responding found heavy fire and smoke coming from the windows and roof of a three story woodframe structure. From there the fire was able to extend throughout the 3rd floor as well as down a stairwell into the 2nd floor kitchen causing extensive damage to the 2nd and 3rd stories of the structure. Ultimately fire crews were able to contain and extinguish the fire, preventing further extension into the 1st floor basement and surrounding exposures.

There were seven occupants who escaped the fire, however five of them sustained varying degrees of burn injuries while trying to evacuate. Four of which, including three children, were treated and transported to Grays Harbor Community Hospital. The fifth individual had left the scene prior to EMS arrival and had transported himself to the hospital. One adult and two of the children were later transferred to Harborview Medical Center for further treatment.

Fire crews were on scene for approximately four hours. A total of 15 Aberdeen firefighters, the Assistant Chief, Chief, and to 2 Hoquiam Firefighters with 1 Command Unit, 3 Engines, 1 ladder truck and 2 Medic Units responded.

Smoke and fire damage to structure and contents was estimated to be $268,000.

At this time, the cause and origin of the fire is under investigation, and is still considered undetermined.