The Aberdeen Police department has placed an officer on leave pending the investigation into a shooting on East First Street this afternoon. Undersheriff Brad Johansson said this evening that the suspect has been identified as a 51-year-old male from Redmond, Oregon. The suspect is currently in surgery in critical condition. The male suspect is not known to local law enforcement.

Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Brad Johansson said in a press release that officers were dispatched to a hit and run on Market Street just before noon Thursday.

A Witness told me that she was standing at the Bank of the Pacific when she heard the screeching tires, “I was at the ATM at Bank of the Pacific here on G Street. I heard a screech and I saw the pickup hit the other pickup in the intersection and he took off. He came and turned down here on 1st.”

From there the truck fled the scene toward First Street and parked in the empty Bridge’s Restaurant parking lot near North F street leaving behind the front license plate at the scene of the hit and run.

Sheriff Rick Scott said that officers attempted to contact a man who was possibly involved in the hit and run near the corner of East 1st Street and North E Street, “Officers confronted him, he was armed with a knife and charged the officers with the knife refusing commands to drop the knife.”

Scott said one officer opened fire and struck the man multiple times. He was injured in the shooting and was transported to the hospital. An update this afternoon said that he is currently in critical condition undergoing surgery for his injuries. The Aberdeen Police Department requested assistance from the Region 3 Sheriff’s Office Critical Incident Investigation Team to investigate the incident.

Evening Update

A citizen who witnessed the incident told investigators the suspect went towards the officer. The citizen heard the officer yelling at the suspect to drop the knife but was unable to see the suspect’s hands or a knife. The suspect continued to approach the officer when he was shot. Two officers arrived on the scene during the incident and described the suspect approaching the officer and ignoring his commands prior to the officer firing his weapon. One officer was able to describe a knife in the suspect’s hand as he approached the officer. A knife was recovered near the suspect. The investigation will continue as detectives contact witnesses, obtain video evidence from nearby businesses and further process the scene.