No injuries were reported from the scene of a small fire in the kitchen of Burger King in Aberdeen.

Assistant Fire Chief Rich Malizia said the Aberdeen Fire Department was called to the scene just after 8 am Wednesday morning to the report of a kitchen fire.

“The staff of the restaurant said they heard the noise and they saw a hood fire up in the grease trap – probably grease trap area by the description.” Malizia said, adding that “They did try to deploy their extinguisher, it did not put it out and the automatic system didn’t go off so it sounds like it was a grease fire in the flu, [we’ve] pretty much got it out.”

Employees at the scene said they safely evacuated everyone and called 911.

At 08:20 on Wednesday August 29, 2018 the Aberdeen and Hoquiam Fire Departments were dispatched to a structure fire at the Burger King restaurant located at 620 E. Heron Street in Aberdeen. Upon arrival units found heavy smoke coming from the restaurant’s roof vent. Employees stated that there was a fire that had started in the kitchen.

Crews were able to quickly knock down the fire and limited damage to the immediate area of the kitchen and were on scene for approximately and hour and a half. A total of 10 firefighters responded in 1 command unit, 3 engines and 1 medic unit. The Assistant Chief also responded to assist. Further assistance was received from the Hoquiam Fire Department and Grays Harbor Fire District 2 for covering EMS calls within Aberdeen during this incident.

It is believed that the fire started as a result of grease igniting in the hood and duct system in the kitchen. Damage is estimated to be at $6,500 to the building and contents.