January 2015 Flood and Landslide Resources

SHELTER AND HOUSING resource information can be obtained by contacting:

  • **Coastal Community Action Program*** – Monday thru Friday from 8AM to 5PM daily.

117 E 3rd St, Aberdeen   Direct: 360-500-4551   Toll free: 800-828-4883   Office: 360-533-5100

  • Neighbor Works – Mon -Thurs, 8AM-5PM 360-533-7828 [email protected] 1-866-533-7828 toll-free
  • Grays Harbor Housing Authority – Mon-Fri 8AM to 4:30PM  360-532-0570

USDA – FOR HOMEOWNERS –Repair Program/Direct Loans – Koni Reynolds, 360-704-7771 [email protected]

SBA DISASTER LOAN OUTREACH CENTER– Low interest federal loans for individuals and businesses- https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/ or 1-800-659-2955 or email [email protected]. Individuals who are deaf or hard‑of‑hearing may call (800) 877-8339.

RED CROSS is currently available only by appointment through Coastal Community Action Program.


FloodSmart Community Resources



Red Cross Disaster Safety Checklist



How to Protect Your Home From Flood Damage



Emergency Planning – Protect Your Pet



How to Avoid Flood Damaged Cars



STEM Challenge for Kids – Building Flood Resistant Homes



LANDFILL VOUCHERS are available at Hoquiam City Hall in Finance Department, City of Aberdeen in Finance Department, and Grays Harbor Emergency Management.  See below detail for addresses.

ELECTRONICS or APPLIANCES can be dropped off free under the state recycling program at Tek Ease located at 106 East Heron St, Aberdeen  360-359-1125


FOOD/CLOTHING/HOUSEHOLD GOODS:  These locations also accept donations.

  • Goodwill360-532-0041, 1103 Wishkah St, Aberdeen. Mon-Sat 9AM-9PM, Sun 10AM-7PM
  • Salvation Army FOOD BANK360-533-1062 Tues and Thurs 10-11:45 and 1:30-3:45PM
  • Salvation Army – 360-533-1062 ID, proof of income, rental agreement all needed for furniture. Call for hours.
  • Aberdeen Food Bank – 360-533-1088 – 306 N I St, Aberdeen Mon and Wed 3-5PM
  • Hoquiam Food/Clothing Bank – 360-533-4909 720 K St, Hoquiam Mon and Wed from 12-2PM
  • Selmer’s – 360-532-2260 Voucher for furniture from CCAP, 419 E. Wishkah, Aberdeen
  • Kaufmann Scrogg’s – 360-532-0630 Open 1st and 3rd Saturdays, 11:00 until gone, 310 S. K St, Aberdeen
  • Union Gospel Mission – 360-533-1064 405 E. Herron, Aberdeen, Mon-Fri 3-4PM

DONATIONS:  These locations accept monetary donations and are tax deductible:

  • Anchor Bank (GH County Locations) will be sending donations to United Way.
  • Great Northwest Federal Credit Union will be sending donations to United Way.
  • Bank of the Pacific will be sending donations to Salvation Army.
  • Grays Harbor Community Foundation, 360-532-1600, 707 J Street, Hoquiam.



INFORMATION REGARDING BUILDING REPAIRS: It is best to contact your local building department to verify information or permit requirements to repair homes and buildings:

Grays Harbor County http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us 360-249-5579, Building Dept, 100 W Broadway, Montesano

City of Aberdeen  http://aberdeenwa.gov/   360-537-3217, 200 E Market St, Aberdeen

City of Hoquiam    http://cityofhoquiam.com/ 360-538-3963-utilities or 360-538-3930– Building Dept, 609-8th St, Hoquiam

City of Cosmopolis  http://www.cosmopolis.us.com/   360-532-9230, 1300 1st St, Cosmopolis

Grays Harbor PUD https://www.ghpud.org/ 360-538-6383, 2720 Sumner Ave. Rebates for energy efficient home repairs (insulation, windows, heat pumps). Pre-approval and energy audit required.



Grays Harbor County Health Department
http://www.healthygh.org/  360-532-8631- Mon – Fri 8AM- 12PM, 1PM-5PM

Grays Harbor County Department of Environmental Health   360-249-4222 email: [email protected]  website: http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/info/pub_svcs/envhealth.asp *info on mold and safe food handling*

Olympic Regional Clean Air Authority http://orcaa.org 360-539-7610 *Info on asbestos testing and removal*  


*** Any other resource questions contact Coastal Community Action Program (360) 533-5100 ***




Citizens who have not yet taken steps to mitigate flood damage need to be aware of the danger of mold. Renters need to report the presence of mold to the landlord.

Anyone living in a home or apartment which has not already had significant flood mitigation and repair efforts could already be exposed to the growth of black mold. Mold may grow out-of-sight within closed areas such as under floors or inside of walls but will still contaminate air quality in the entire structure.
The presence of wet conditions within the structure may lead to the growth of mold, viruses and bacteria; these microorganisms can have a significant and possibly deadly impact on the health of persons- especially medically sensitive groups such as infants, the disabled or the elderly. Persons impacted may experience stuffy nose, irritated eyes, wheezing or skin irritation; continued exposure or those allergic to microorganisms may have difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
Citizens experiencing physical impact from mold exposure are encouraged to seek medical attention.
Additional information can be found at http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/mold/. Homes or buildings which significant mold contamination should be reported to the city or county building department (according to where it is located) because the structure may become uninhabitable.


In addition to mold, citizens need to be aware of the health impact of asbestos when working on flood damage in homes or buildings. Many common household materials- including recently purchased materials- can contain asbestos, including drywall, flooring, carpet glue, wall texture, pipe insulation and ceiling tiles.
Asbestos regulations apply to ALL structures, including residential homes.
Asbestos is regulated by the Olympic Region Clean Air Authority (ORCAA) because airborne asbestos particles not only can pose a health risk to residents, but also anyone who unwittingly handles contaminated building materials, such as volunteers, contractors or garbage disposal workers.
Before beginning any asbestos project, you must notify ORCAA at 360-539-7610 or 1-800-422-5623. An asbestos removal permit is required for the removal or disturbance of more than 10 square feet of any asbestos containing material. ORCAA currently charges a nominal fee for this permit, but a request to temporarily waive this fee is under consideration.

If material is not tested for asbestos, it must be assumed to contain asbestos and handled as contaminated material. ORCAA maintains a list of asbestos contractors on its website at www.orcaa.org.
Through the generosity of donations, the Grays Harbor Community Foundation is currently working with CCAP to possibly cover the cost of some asbestos testing or permit fees to help encourage repairs to local housing damaged in the flood.
Asbestos containing material must be properly removed, bagged and reported before dumping. Illegally dumping asbestos contaminated materials in the garbage or at the transfer station places garbage workers at risk. Failure to follow state and federal asbestos regulations can result in fines ranging from $200 to $15,000.


There are free dumping vouchers available at Aberdeen City Hall, Hoquiam City Hall and Grays Harbor County Emergency Management for residents to dispose of items damaged in the flood.
Citizens may need to show proof of residency, but once the voucher is obtained, citizens can dump flood damaged property at the LeMay transfer station in Central Park at 4201 Olympic Highway- open Monday through Friday from 8AM to 5PM and 8AM to 4PM on Saturday.
Some dump vouchers may soon expire, but a new round of paid vouchers will be provided for the duration of the recovery effort or until funding is exhausted.


Whenever a disaster strikes a community, there is an outpouring of help and support; with this up swell comes scammers looking to take advantage of desperate people in desperate times.
Citizens should check the legitimacy of all contractors who offer services or work. Contractors must be bonded, state licensed and have insurance. Always make sure you have a written contract and never pay in advance or pay in full until the job is done. Ask for and check contractor references for jobs they have completed in the past. If the offer or work sounds “too good to be true” it probably is!
Contractors can be verified on the state Labor and Industries website at: http://www.lni.wa.gov/claimsins/fraudcomp/. Fraudulent or unlicensed contractors can be reported by calling 1-888-811-5974.


Citizens impacted by the January 4-5 rainstorm and flooding are encouraged to call or visit the Coastal Community Action Program (CCAP) to receive updated information or referral to resources and services related to the flood recovery effort.

The direct line for FLOOD ASSISTANCE INFORMATION is 360-500-4551 or 1-800-828-4883. CCAP is located at 117 East Third Street in Aberdeen with services located on the second floor and hours of Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM. The CCAP office number is 360-533-5100.
CCAP is working with several resources to provide not only referral information, but they also can provide assistance with emergency shelter and housing. The American Red Cross is temporarily located at the CCAP offices and can offer housing assistance in conjunction with CCAP and other available funding.
The Grays Harbor Storm Recovery INCIDENT MANAGEMENT TEAM will continue to work in conjunction with CCAP on behalf of the City of Aberdeen, City of Hoquiam and Grays Harbor County for the duration of the active period.