No injuries were reported at the scene of an apartment fire early this morning in Aberdeen. Battalion Chief Damon Lillybridge said from the scene, “No injuries, four people were living in that apartment. Cooking in the middle of the night looks like they left grease on the stove that started a fire extended up the wall throughout the rest of the apartment.”

Crews were called to the 4-plex building in the 1000 block of West Market Street before 4 AM Wednesday, E911 dispatch was not able to provide an exact time of the response. A witness at the scene said that the Aberdeen Police Department evacuated the building before the fire department arrived. Smoke and water damage was apparent in the apartment and the apartment below. Lillybridge added that fire crews took a little longer inside the building, and that apartment, making sure that the fire didn’t extend into the ceiling or neighboring apartments.