The Washington Department of Ecology is proposing a new rule, Chapter 173-185 WAC, Oil Movement by Rail and Pipeline Notification. Chapter 173-185 WAC will create reporting standards for facilities that receive crude oil by rail, and pipelines that transport crude oil through the state. Additionally, the rule will identify reporting standards for Ecology to share information with emergency responders, local governments, tribes, and the public. The rule will:
- Specify the applicability of the rule.
- Define terms used in the rule and ensure consistency with other Ecology regulations.
- Establish advance notice requirements for facilities that receive crude oil by rail.
- Establish biannual notice requirements for pipelines that transport crude oil through the state.
- Identify the manner that information must be submitted to Ecology.
- Identify the process for emergency responders, local governments, and tribes to request oil movement information, and the process that Ecology will use to provide non-aggregated information.
- Identify the types of aggregated information that Ecology will disclose to the public.
- Establish penalties for noncompliance with the rule.
We will be holding four public hearings on this rule proposal, one each in Spokane, Everett, and Vancouver, and one via webinar. Webinars are an online meeting forum that you can attend from any computer using internet access.
May 17, 2016
|7:00 pm||In Person||Ramada at Spokane International Airport
Lower Level Ballroom
May 23, 2016
|1:00 – 5:00 pm||In Person||Holiday Inn Downtown Everett
May 26, 2016
|1:00 pm||Webinar||This is an online hearing forum that you can attend from any computer using internet access. To join the webinar, click on the following link for more information and instructions: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/spills/rules/Webinar1513.pdf.|
June 3, 2016
|1:00 pm||In Person||DoubleTree by Hilton – Vancouver
The Columbia Room
How can I provide comments?
Formal comments on this rulemaking will be accepted in the following ways:
- At the public hearings:
- Verbally by those who attend in person or during the webinar via phone at (800) 704-9804, Participant 88955236#
- Written submitted by those who attend in person
- Comments will not be accepted through the chat box by persons viewing the webinar
- Any time during the comment period:
Comments must be submitted by June 10, 2016.
A copy of the Rule Proposal Notice is attached. The notice contains information about this rule proposal, the comment period and the hearing schedule.
For more information about the rulemaking, documents available for review, and public hearings, visit the following website: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/spills/rules/1513ov.html.