Hoquiam firefighters quickly dowsed a small fire in an apartment on K street this morning. Battalion Commander Tim Smith said the residents had just moved into the apartment and had left a box of items near a gas heater. The thermostat kicked in overnight and the box smoldered until this morning when the heat broke out a window and the oxygen allowed the fire to grow.

Crews had to use foam to smother the flames as the electricity was still connected to the building. The Grays Harbor PUD arrived as they were finishing up, and pulling in their hoses.

The fire was reported as smoke coming from the 6-unit apartment complex just after 6:30 am Thursday morning. Smith reported no injuries, and no pets were found. He said smoke and heat damage was seen throughout the apartment.