Fireworks sales begin later this month in many places, although fireworks ordinances will restrict where and how you can enjoy them. With the 4th of July right around the corner, Ocean Shores Fire and Police Departments are reminding visitors that fireworks may only be discharged July 2nd and 3rd between twelve p.m. and eleven p.m. and July 4th between twelve p.m. and twelve midnight.
Ocean Shores and Westport also have restrictions on location, in Shores, they may only be discharged on the beach from the Damon Beach Approach (Best Western) to Marine View Drive Beach Access. In Westport, only along the beach at Half Moon Bay. Fireworks cannot be discharged in either city.
In Hoquiam, Consumer fireworks may be used or discharged each day between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight on the third and fourth of July.
In *Elma, a new fireworks ordinance is in effect for the second year this July 4th. Fireworks are only allowed July 3rd, 12:00 noon to 11:00 pm & July 4th, 9:00 am to 12:00 midnight.
*This is not correct on the WSP image below.
Assistant Fire Chief Rich Malizia reminds residents that Aberdeen’s fireworks regulations are more restrictive than the state regulations.
The following restrictions apply in the City of Aberdeen:
- Sale of fireworks is allowed daily from 9:00 AM July 1st until 11:00 PM July 4th.
- Discharge of fireworks is allowed only on July 4th 9:00 AM until 12:00 Midnight.
- Lawful fireworks are defined as class C common fireworks and labeled U.N. 0336 1.4G
- It is unlawful to set off, ignite or aid in setting off any form of fireworks in a public place, which includes parks, sidewalks, streets and other pedestrian and automobile byways.
- It is unlawful to sell fireworks utilizing internet sale sites.
- Fireworks Legal on Tribal Land may not be legal off of Tribal lands.
- Firecrackers, bottle rockets, missiles and rockets are legal to possess and discharge on tribal lands. These items are illegal in Washington State and become illegal fireworks when possessed off tribal lands.
- M-80’s and larger, dynamite and any improvised, homemade or altered
explosive devices such as tennis balls or cherry bombs are illegal explosive devices.
Malizia says a safe alternative is to attend a community fireworks display like the City of Aberdeen 4th of July Splash. He added, “We urge citizens who chose to have their own private fireworks displays to use the following precautions:”
BEFORE YOU LIGHT FIREWORKS–“Be Prepared!”
WHEN LIGHTING FIREWORKS–“Be Safe!”
AFTER YOU FINISH, CLEAN UP– “Be Responsible!”
Visit the Washington State Fire Protection Bureau web site at wsp.wa.gov or call your Aberdeen Fire Department at 360-532-1254 for more information.
Throughout Grays Harbor County: