Fireworks sales begin this week in many areas, although fireworks ordinances can restrict what you do with those noisemakers in many cities.
Assistant Fire Chief Rich Malizia reminds residents that Aberdeen’s fireworks regulations are more restrictive than the state regulations.
The following restrictions apply in the City of Aberdeen:
- Sale of fireworks is allowed daily from 9:00 AM July 1st until 11:00 PM July 4th.
- Discharge of fireworks is allowed only on July 4th 9:00 AM until 12:00 Midnight.
- Lawful fireworks are defined as class C common fireworks and labeled U.N. 0336 1.4G
- It is unlawful to set off, ignite or aid in setting off any form of fireworks in a public place, which includes parks, sidewalks, streets and other pedestrian and automobile byways.
- It is unlawful to sell fireworks utilizing internet sale sites.
- Fireworks Legal on Tribal Land may not be legal off of Tribal lands.
- Firecrackers, bottle rockets, missiles and rockets are legal to possess and
discharge on tribal lands. These items are illegal in Washington State and
become illegal fireworks when possessed off tribal lands.
- M-80’s and larger, dynamite and any improvised, homemade or altered
explosive devices such as tennis balls or cherry bombs are illegal explosive devices.
Malizia says a safe alternative is to attend a community fireworks display like the City of Aberdeen 4th of July Splash. He added, “We urge citizens who chose to have their own private fireworks displays to use the following precautions:”
BEFORE YOU LIGHT FIREWORKS–“Be Prepared!”
WHEN LIGHTING FIREWORKS–“Be Safe!”
AFTER YOU FINISH, CLEAN UP– “Be Responsible!”
Visit the Washington State Fire Protection Bureau web site at wsp.wa.gov or call your Aberdeen Fire Department at 360-532-1254 for more information.
In Hoquiam, Consumer fireworks may be used or discharged each day between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight on the third and fourth of July,
In Elma, a new fireworks ordinance is in effect this July 4th. Fireworks are only allowed July 3rd, 12:00 noon to 11:00 pm & July 4th, 9:00 am to 12:00 midnight.
Statewide sales and discharge period allowed by RCW 70.77.395
Throughout Grays Harbor County: