SEATTLE, Wash. – The union representing over 30-thousands Washington grocery store workers has given a 72-hour notice that it’s members will go on strike.
The stores under the strike alert include all Safeway, Fred Meyer, Albertson’s and QFC stores in King, Pierce, Snohomish, Mason, Thurston and Kitsap counties. Grays Harbor county stores are on a different contract that is not nearing expiration. a representative tells us they “may ask members in Grays Harbor to help with strike support but most of all, follow what is going on.”
The ufcw 367 website this evening stated “We have just given a 72 hour notice to the grocery store chains effective 7:00 pm.”
“We are communicating with our members about the issues our brothers and sisters in the grocery retail industry are facing in negotiations. The Teamsters will always stand up for working people, and the fact that these four grocery chains with a combined revenue that is in the tens of billions of dollars annually want to force their employees onto taxpayer subsidized healthcare is absurd and will not be tolerated.” said Rick Hicks, President of Joint Council Teamsters 28.
The current negotiations between the Teamsters Local 38, UFCW and the four major Grocery Chains (Safeway, QFC, Fred Meyer and Albertsons) have been going on for more than six months.
A very little known fact is that it is estimated that there are as many or more Law Enforcement Officers who commit suicide as there are Officers who are feloniously or accidentally killed in the line of duty. A US Department of Defense report that was released last month stated that the numbers of military committing suicide has now surpassed all of those killed in the Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan combined.
Throughout the day, Robert Douglas provided information to help slow down and possibly stop this epidemic of the suicide or our Law Enforcement personnel.
Sheriff Casey Salisbury publicly thanked the Little Creek Casino for graciously providing the meeting room as well as coffee, tea and water; the Shelton Wal-Mart and the Shelton Safeway stores for providing donuts; and the Shelton Fred Meyer store for providing muffins and fruit.
Group Photo below: Left to Right: Mason County Sheriff’s Chaplain George Albertson, Mike Douglas (son of Robert), Robert Douglas, Julie Zielinski, and Mason County Sheriff Casey Salisbury.
Photo below of Mason County Sheriff Casey Salisbury giving Robert Douglas a Mason County Sheriff’s Office Challenge coin, thanking him for his presentation
Photo below of Robert Douglas presenting his suicide prevention program
Photo below of Julie Zielinski presenting her testimony about the suicide of her Deputy Sheriff son
- Governor Gregoire‘s Proclamation of Weather Radio Awareness Month.
- Web Site information with consumer incentives on weather radios – www.emd.wa.gov/
- Consumer incentives on weather radios from manufacturers and vendors.
- Heightened awareness for schools and the emergency preparedness community.
- Coastal Tsunami Warning Communications Test and Statewide Earthquake Drill on Sept 24 at about 1015 AM using EAS via Weather Radio.
- Dedication of new Upper Cowlitz River Basin Weather Radio station on Sept 24.
- Booths at the Puyallup Fair, Spokane Co Interstate Fair, Columbia River Watershed Festival, Thurston Co Disaster Fair, Renton Disaster Fair and many other outreach events.
- Local retailers with weather radios – Fred Meyer, Radio Shack, Joes, REI, Walgreens, Cabela’s