South Aberdeen House Fire Sends Two to Hospital

Two people were transported to Community Hospital this morning after a fire at a home in South Aberdeen. Crews are still on scene, in the 200 block of East Curtis Street, working to keep flames from extending into the attic of the two-story home.

Battalion Chief Damon Lillybridge said it appears the fire started in an attached building behind the home, “It started in the back, started getting into the main structure. I’ve got some guys on the second floor clearing the building and keeping the fire from coming in.”

Lillybridge said in a press release later this morning that both the Aberdeen and Hoquiam Fire Departments responded to the structure fire in the 200 block of E Curtis Street at 4:30 am. The first arriving Engine reported heavy fire and smoke coming from an attached garage at the rear of a two-story residence. The fire was also found to be extending into the first floor of the main residence. Interior fire extinguishment operations were utilized to control the fire within the residence and defensive operations were used to control the fully involved garage fire.
The initial response included 10 firefighters, eight from the Aberdeen Fire Department and 2 from the Hoquiam Fire Department. A 2nd Alarm was immediately requested by the on-scene Incident Commander. In total, 18 Aberdeen firefighters, the Fire Chief and Assistant Chief responded to this incident. 1 Command Unit, 4 Engines, 1 Ladder Truck, and 4 Medic Units were utilized.

- Advertisement -

Three residents were able to evacuate the home prior to the arrival of fire personnel. Two were treated and transported to Grays Harbor Community Hospital for minor injuries associated with the fire and a third uninjured occupant was placed in an ambulance on scene to keep warm. A cat was found inside the smoke filled residence and was successfully resuscitated by fire personnel and reunited with its owner.

The fire damage is estimated at $43,500 for the attached garage and $52,000 for the main residence. The cause of the fire is undetermined at this time. Units were on scene for approximately four hours.