OLYMPIA, Wash. - A moving company in Ocean Shores is among three recently disciplined by State regulators for without permits in Washington.
Red Van Moving was ordered to cease and desist from providing in-state residential moving services until they obtain the required permit and insurance.
The three companies are:
- Perfection Moving of Kennewick, WA, owned by Robert Garcia.
- Red Van Moving of Ocean Shores, WA, owned by Mark Sherman.
- Mychal’s Mover’s of Battleground, WA, owned by Mychal Redthunder.
The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission reports all three moving companies advertised residential moving services without possessing a valid permit as required by state law.
Red Van Moving owner Mark Sherman admitted to operating without a state permit, and was fined $5,000. His penalty was suspended and will be dismissed after two years of compliance.
Perfection Moving, of Kennewick, failed to appear at the hearing. Owner Robert Garcia was penalized $5,000 and is ordered to cease and desist from providing moving services.
Mychal’s Movers of Battleground also appeared before the UTC. owner Mychal Redthunder was fined $5,000, of which $4,500 was suspended and agreed to cease and desist business operations as a residential mover in Washington.
The UTC urges Washington citizens to do their homework before hiring a mover:
- Verify the mover’s permit and complaint history with the UTC.
- Compare costs; get at least two written estimates.
- Check with online reviews and complaints lodged against the mover.
- Know the mover’s full name, address and phone number.
- Get a written, signed inventory list from the company of all belongings being loaded.
The UTC is the state agency in charge of enforcing consumer protection and safety regulations for more than 200 residential moving companies operating within the state. Movers are required to get a permit from the UTC, charge appropriate rates, carry proper insurance and keep their vehicles safely maintained. The commission does not regulate interstate moving companies.