The National Weather Service in Seattle has issued a High Wind Watch for the North & Central Coast of Washington from this evening into Tuesday. All areas of Grays Harbor County could see strong gusting winds from two separate events. Heavy rain will accompany the wind events.
1. Rain and wind increase after midnight ahead of the Warm front. Strong southeasterly winds 30-40 mph gusting to 60 mph will occur late tonight through mid Tuesday morning along the coast.
2. Warm front passage late Tuesday morning, rain continuing between the fronts.
3. Cold front passage late Tuesday afternoon.
4. Strong west-to-southwest winds 30-40 mph gusting to 60 mph behind the cold front late Tuesday afternoon and during the evening along the coast.
Strong winds could cause additional tree damage to already weakened trees, causing more power outages and a threat of injury due to falling trees and tree limbs.
Impacts, Damage to Trees and Power Lines, Potentially Enhanced Due to Lingering Limb and Tree Damage from Last Week’s Winter Weather. Saturated Soils will Allow Trees to topple Easily. More Power Outages. Possible Injuries from Falling Trees and Tree Limbs.
Landslide hazards - will continue to increase as heavy rain continues. Be alert for shifting of soil, trees and poles near bluffs, and hilly areas.
There is a Flood Watch for all Western Washington rivers due to the heavy rain predicted. The Chehalis River could reach flood stage later this week. All Grays Harbor County rivers will continue to rise.
Grays Harbor County Emergency Management is urging all citizens to prepared for possible power outages.
Never Go Near a Fallen Power Line
If you encounter a fallen power line, STAY AWAY! Wet ground can conduct the electricity and it may arc to your body if you get too close. If you find a fallen power line, call 911 andSTAY AWAY!
Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible gas that can kill. Carbon monoxide comes from burning fuels such as gasoline, propane, oil, kerosene, natural gas, coal or wood. Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable:
- Only use portable generators outdoors and far from open windows and vents.
- Never use a generator indoors, in garages or carports.
- Never use a gas or charcoal grill, hibachi, or portable propane heater to cook indoors or heat your home.
- If you use a portable space heater indoors, be sure to leave a window open 1-2” to provide ventilation. Never fill a Space Heater indoors!
Carbon monoxide poisoning can strike suddenly and without warning. Physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include splitting headache, nausea, vomiting, lethargy and fatigue. If you or a family member believes that they could be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, get out of the property and call 911 immediately from a neighbor's home.