|SEATTLE - Voting rights, safety and job opportunity are just a few of the benefits that citizenship brings. On April 18th, Citizenship Day will provide free services to legal permanent residents in Washington state who are seeking the American dream. |
The Washington New Americans program -- administered by OneAmerica (formerly Hate Free Zone) in partnership with the Washington Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) -- will present Citizenship Day in Centralia, Wenatchee, Tukwila, and Yakima. This is the second of three Citizenship Day's offered in 11 Washington cities. The first Citizenship Day on Feb. 28, 2009 served 165 people.
Citizenship Day offers workshops providing assistance to legal permanent state residents eligible for naturalization. The Washington New Americans Program promotes successful immigrant integration by connecting Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) to the information and services they need to successfully pursue citizenship and become active members of our community. This partnership expands AILA's annual Citizenship Day to include three dates in 11 cities. This event follows last year's workshops, at which approximately 270 individuals received assistance with their applications for U.S. citizenship. The goal this year, through the new partnership with the Washington New Americans program, is to assist 600 people with filing naturalization applications by June 30. After the first Washington Citizenship Day by AILA in 2006, the concept has been replicated in 25 states.
Offered at four locations on April 18 (see below), Citizenship Day will be staffed by volunteer immigration attorneys, paralegals, interpreters and other community members. These teams will prepare naturalization applications at NO COST. Applicants will be able to consult with professionals and ensure that their documentation is complete.
Citizenship offers enormous benefits, including access to better jobs, safety and security, and the right to vote and be fully involved in our democracy. Each year, hundreds of thousands of immigrants, from all corners of the globe, embrace the ideals of freedom and democracy and become United States citizens.
April 18 Citizenship Day
Saturday 10 AM - 4 PM
(360) 736-9391, ext. 696
Centralia Community College
Kirk Library Building
600 Centralia College Blvd.
Centralia, WA 98531
(509) 665-7022 or
1 (888) 273-2219
Chelan Public Utilities District
327 N. Wenatchee Ave
Wenatchee, WA 98801
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
212 N. 4th St.
Yakima, WA 98901
(206) 587-0234, ext. 103
Showalter Middle School
4628 S. 144th Street
Tukwila, WA 98168
Upcoming Citizenship Day:
May 30, 2009
- Vancouver, WA
- Mt. Vernon
About Washington New Americans
The Washington New Americans (WNA) program is a partnership between the State of Washington and OneAmerica, a non-profit dedicated to advancing justice and equality.
Our goal is to promote successful immigrant integration by connecting eligible Legal Permanent Residents ("green card" holders) to the information and services they need to successfully pursue citizenship and become active members of our community.
We work in partnership with the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and community organizations across Washington to provide the following FREE services:
- Information about the naturalization process
- Citizenship application assistance (N-400 forms only)
- Legal review of applications by a volunteer attorney or accredited representative
What to bring to Citizenship Day:
Additionally, we provide FREE workshops to help you prepare for the citizenship interview and learn about
To find out about events and service providers in your area, please call 877.926.3924 or sign up here.
- Green Card
- List of home addresses and dates from past five years
- List of employers (names and addresses) and dates worked from past five years
- Dates and itineraries of trips outside of U.S. since becoming a permanent resident
- Children's complete names, birthdates and A#'s, if applicable
- If you think you have been arrested or detained, or if you appeared in court for any reason in the last five years, bring ALL certified court & police documents
Benefits of Citizenship
- Sponsor family members to immigrate to the United States
- Automatically gain United States citizenship for children who are under 18 years old
- Travel and live overseas without worrying about losing your legal status in the United States or obtaining a reentry permit
Full List of Benefits
- More employment opportunities