ABERDEEN, Wash. - Grays Harbor’s tall ships, the Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain, return to their home port in May after seven months of touring California and Oregon ports as goodwill ambassadors. Lady Washington is scheduled to arrive at Aberdeen Landing in Aberdeen the evening of May 4. Hawaiian Chieftain will follow on May 5. While in Aberdeen, the ships will conduct public sails, which feature special pricing for Mothers Day weekend.
At 2 p.m. Saturday, May 7 and Sunday, May 8 (Mothers Day), Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain will host passengers for a three-hour Battle Sail, which includes booming cannon and a recreation of a typical naval skirmish from the Napoleonic era. Tickets are $60 adults, $50 students/seniors/active military, $40 children 12 and under.
At 10 a.m. Sunday, May 8, both vessels will host guests for a three-hour Adventure Sail, featuring demonstrations of tall ship handling and an opportunity for guests to help sail a real tall ship. Tickets are $55 adults, $45 students/seniors/active military, $35 children 12 and under.
For all three public sailings May 7 and Mothers Day, moms pay just $5 each for tickets. Purchase tickets for all prices online at www.historicalseaport.org or call 800-200-5239.
The ships are also conducting K-12 educational programs for Grays Harbor and Pacific County students. Public schools are now eligible for dockside or sailing program scholarships covering 85 percent of the program cost, if local businesses, service groups, or non-profit agencies match the other 15 percent. The Historical Seaport is currently working with Whitney’s Auto Group of Montesano on an April-only promotion; for every person who takes a test drive of a car at Whitney’s Chevrolet, Aberdeen Honda, or Whitney’s Value Ford in April, Whitney’s will sponsor one student for an education program. For more information, contact Roxie Underwood, 800-200-5239, firstname.lastname@example.org.
During their Aberdeen stay, Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain will be open for public tours on these dates and times: May 5-6, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.; May 7-8, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; May 10-11, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. A $3 donation per person is appreciated. (Note: The Sunday, May 8 tours will be cancelled if both boats are required for the morning public sail.)