An “all-hazards” warning system, used not only for flood and weather events, but also immediate life-threatening hazards like tsunamis, volcanic activity, AMBER child abduction alerts, and secondary hazards from terrorism and earthquakes.
- Has a warning alarm feature, instantly alerting you to fast-breaking, potentially life-saving warning messages around the clock.
- Is a key element of the Emergency Alert System (EAS), providing broadcasters and you with initial and immediate emergency warning information.
- Programmable radios available permitting site and event specific selected warnings.
- Weather radios have a battery backup in case of power outages.
- Broadcasts the latest area weather forecasts and conditions 24-hours a day. Operates on special frequencies not found on regular AM/FM bands.
This News is a service of:
Awareness Month Activities include:
- Governor Gregoire's Proclamation of Weather Radio Awareness Month.
- Web Site information with consumer incentives on weather radios - www.emd.wa.gov/
- Consumer incentives on weather radios from manufacturers and vendors.
- Heightened awareness for schools and the emergency preparedness community.
- Coastal Tsunami Warning Communications Test and Statewide Earthquake Drill on Sept 24 at about 1015 AM using EAS via Weather Radio.
- Dedication of new Upper Cowlitz River Basin Weather Radio station on Sept 24.
- Booths at the Puyallup Fair, Spokane Co Interstate Fair, Columbia River Watershed Festival, Thurston Co Disaster Fair, Renton Disaster Fair and many other outreach events.
- Local retailers with weather radios - Fred Meyer, Radio Shack, Joes, REI, Walgreens, Cabela’s