In conjunction with the recently expanded recall of ground beef products imported to the U.S. from Canada by XL Foods, Inc. due to possible E. coli contamination, Interstate Meat Distributors has informed Save-A-Lot that certain products distributed to Save-A-Lot stores in Washington and Oregon contain beef that is subject to the expanded recall.
Save-A-Lot is asking customers in these states who may have purchased ground beef at Save-A-Lot stores to check their freezers for impacted products, and to discard any affected products. No other Save-A-Lot stores are impacted by the current recall.
More information regarding the USDA investigation of this issue is available via the following link: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/NR_092012_01/index.asp. Consumers with additional food safety questions can also contact the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday.
The following product sold from the fresh meat case in Save-A-Lot stores in Washington and Oregon is impacted by the recall:
- · CASE READY GROUND BEEF 85%, UPC: 7529076002064, USE BY 09/11/12
Additionally, the following pre-packaged products are subject to the recall:
- · 73%-27% 1LB GROUND BEEF CHUB – UPC: 752907-1825, SELL BY 09/14/12
- · 73%-27% 3LB GROUND BEEF CHUB - UPC: 752907-182517, SELL BY 09/18/12 or SELL BY 09/21/12
- · 80%-20% 3LB GROUND BEEF CHUB – UPC: 752907-172518, SELL BY 09/18/12 or SELL BY 09/21/12
- · 80%-20% 1LB GROUND BEEF CHUB – UPC: 752907-172716, SELL BY 09/18/12 or 09/21/12
- · 90%-07% LEAN GROUND BEEF TRAY PACK , UCP: 752907-600240, SELL BY 9/11/12
- · 73%-27% 1LB GROUND BEEF CHUB – UPC: 752907-182517, SELL BY 09/18/12 or 09/21/12
Affected products are no longer available for sale in any Save-A-Lot stores, and no illnesses linked to these products have been reported. Save-A-Lot customers with questions about this issue should call Save-A-Lot Customer Care at 888-725-4537.