Newstalk KBKW

Washington Fire Marshall Notes: Fire Fatalities Increase Twenty-nine Percent

The Office of the State Fire Marshal recommends that every household take charge of fire safety by following the suggestions below:

Electrical Safety -

  • Routinely inspect electrical wiring and appliances to ensure the equipment is in operable condition. Electrical system modification should be done by qualified professionals only.
  • Purchase electrical appliances that have been listed by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM).
  • Extension cords should not be used in place of permanent wiring. If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
  • Don't allow children to play with or around electrical appliances like space heaters, irons and hair dryers.

Smoking Safety -

  • Smoke outside. Use deep, sturdy ashtrays and make sure cigarettes and ashes are fully extinguished.
  • Never smoke in sleeping areas, while on medications or in a home where medical oxygen is used.
  • Use reduced ignition strength cigarettes, commonly referred to as fire-safe cigarettes.

Protect you, your loved ones and your home from fire -

  • Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside each sleeping area.
  • Plan and practice an evacuation drill with all members of your family.
  • Consider installing residential fire sprinklers in your home.

Comments are closed.