Aberdeen house fire likely caused by dirty chimney

ABERDEEN, Wash. – The Aberdeen Fire Department is reminding residents with wood heat sources to have their chimneys checked annually, after responding to a structure fire early yesterday morning. Captain Mark Dulin tells us they were called to the 1300 block of Fairfield just after midnight Monday morning. With smoke venting from the attic upon arrival, crews dowsed the flames within about 30 minutes, after removing the wall around the chimney. Damage was estimated at around $5,000, Dulin said investigators determined the cause of the fire was likely the poor condition of the chimney. The press release from AFD said 10 firefighters responded, it did not mention any injuries or occupants of the home at the time of the fire.