Grays Harbor County Emergency Management: Avoid rumors during a disaster
1) There are numerous way citizens can become notified and receive information on severe weather or emergency/disaster events. AHAB Sirens, All Hazard ALERT Weather Radios, the Grays Harbor County Emergency Notification System, AM/FM Radio, The Grays Harbor County Emergency Website and the Grays Harbor County Emergency Management Twitter and Facebook pages. See below for information.
a) Be aware the message television sends may NOT pertain to your site specific location!
b) Local newspapers do present pertinent information although the information will not be the most up to date at the time of reading.
c) The internet presents another situation where the information you receive may not be relevant for your site specific location. Beware of the information you obtain and please check with a bonafide resource such as the numerous sources Grays Harbor Emergency Management provides.
d) DO NOT call 911 for information. They will be overwhelmed with life threatening, emergency situations and will have no time to answer questions about the event.
2) The All Hazard Alert Broadcast (AHAB) Sirens are designed to be heard within a 1 mile radius and OUTDOORS only. Be extremely aware that wind and rain can distort the voice message and also greatly reduce the distance you can hear the siren during severe weather. For notification if you are INDOORS, you will need to purchase an All Hazard Alert Weather Radio. The radios are available at various locations and range between $25.00 – $50.00. Be sure the radio is an ALERT radio. Many purchase radios that need to be tuned and turned on. Those radios WILL NOT provide the necessary protection and alerting your family needs. You’ll need an All Hazard ALERT Weather Radio that activates on its own.
4) AM/FM radio as well as your All Hazard Alert Weather Radio WILL provide you with pertinent information provided by Grays Harbor County Emergency Management for all Grays Harbor County residents.
5) Please like follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.
6) If you are interested in signing up for the Grays Harbor Emergency Notification System which will provide you with a phone call, text message and an e-mail in the event of severe weather or an emergency or disaster situation, please follow the link and we will add you to our service. http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/info/DEM/EMailTWS.asp
7) Remember Grays Harbor County Emergency Management has a website at:
http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/info/DEM/Index.asp There is a great deal of information posted there.
8) Emergency Preparedness is your responsibility. Local jurisdictions do not have the capability to assist you in the event of a disaster event. Please plan today for what will impact you in the future. Please call Grays Harbor County Emergency management at (360) 249-3911 or e-mail us at: [email protected] for assistance in planning or to answer any further questions you may have.