NOAA Looking for coastal lands to purchase through Land Acquisition Grants
The CELCP helps advance the national goals and priorities of the Coastal Zone Management Administration, including:
- Protection of coastal ecosystems, including wetlands, corals, and natural shorelines;
- Preservation of natural features that provide storm protection such as dunes and barrier islands;
- Minimizing loss of life and property by directing development out of high risk areas;
- Safeguarding coastal water quality;
- Preservation of historic, cultural, and archaeological features;
- Protection of aesthetic coastal features such as scenic vistas; and
- Providing opportunities for public access to the coast.
A couple of highlights:
- A total of about $3 million is anticipated nationwide. Individual applications are expected to be between $100,000 and $1 million.
- Ecology can “sponsor” two applications.
- There is a 50% match requirement.
- The grants start date is expected to be July 1-Oct 1 2014, and projects are expected to be able to complete in 18 months (although extension is possible under certain conditions).
- Applications must be submitted by November 15, 2013.
- Eligible entities are local governments, tribes, DNR, DFW, State Parks and Padilla Bay.
That is a very brief synopsis of the extensive announcement. Anyone interested please contact Chris Hempleman, WA Dept. of Ecology at 360-407-0239. Visit NOAA’s website for additional information.