Coast Guard Encourages Boaters to Prepare For Winter Weather
To prevent the sinking of a vessel, the Coast Guard recommends boaters:
- Check local weather forecasts frequently. Be aware that storms can come up quickly and without warning.
- Cover and secure your boat. Heavy rains can flood boats causing them to sink in extreme cases.
- Check the shaft packing for excess leakage.
- Perform routine checks for signs of loose or deteriorating planks on wooden hulled vessels.
- Conduct a routine inspection of your automatic bilge pump.
- Visually inspect all thru-hull fittings for damage or loose connections.
- Remove all unnecessary fuel, designate a caretaker, and leave contact information with the harbormaster if you are planning to be away for an extended period of time.
- Check overhangs and canopies for snow and ice build-up to prevent damage and collapse
These simple steps can prevent damage to the environment and personal property while limiting man hours and taxpayer dollars spent on avoidable incidents.