House Fire Lesson: Smoke Detectors Save Lives And Money

ABERDEEN, Wash. – Sleeping while cooking was the cause of a kitchen fire that caused about $3,000 in damages to an Aberdeen home early yesterday morning, but lack of a smoke detector is likely what made it worse. Battallion Commander Bill Mayne tells us the fire started just before 3 Sunday morning when one of four residents began cooking, then fell asleep. Mayne said had a working smoke alarm been in the rental, it probably would have alerted residents long before the fire caused any damages.