Union Gospel Mission Demolition Contract Awarded
While The exact start date will be determined by the company, Phase one of the project seeks to demolish the corner building and establish a parking lot in that area.
The Union Gospel Mission of Grays Harbor has been in existence since 1938, serving the homeless and hurting in Grays Harbor and surrounding counties. We are the only rescue mission from the Straits of Juan de Fuca to the Columbia River.
Phase I - Cost $533,000 (11% of budget)
- To purchase the building and property at 403 East Heron, Aberdeen (next door to the current Mission)
- Demolish 403 East Heron and create needed parking and a new entrance to the Mission
- Immediately after demolition, reface wall that will be exposed on the 405 E Heron building
- Purchase additional property for expansion
In July 2005, we purchased 4+ acres in Southside Aberdeen to use for expansion. This property was purchased for $150,000 and will be used for family transitional housing after the current Mission facility is renovated. In June, 2006, we purchased the corner building (403 East Heron) in Aberdeen for $25,000. Plans are currently being made to demolish the building and establish parking on the lot during 2008.
Phase II – Cost $757,000 (15% of budget)
Construct a 5,000 sq. ft. warehouse on the empty lot in back of the current Mission at 405 East Heron. This building will be used for our free household and furniture "store" and main food storage. We expect to have this completed in 2008-09.
Phase III – Cost $3,750,000 (74% of budget)
Completely renovate the current building at 405 East Heron in Aberdeen. we expect to start this phase in 2009.
The Fundraising Plan
Donations are coming in from individuals, businesses, churches and organizations. We believe donations from our communities are the most important. Local donations show support for this project and become matching money as we pursue grants from state and private resources. It also means we're working together to change lives.
During the 2007 Legislative Session, we were awarded $562,000 through a Capital Budget Request. Some of the funds are designated for Phase I and for Phase II. Two private foundations have also awarded $50,000 each on Phase II. Fundraising efforts are focused on acquiring the rest of the funds needed to complete Phase I, the demolition of 403 East Heron, and Phase II, construction of the warehouse, before moving onto the Phase III endeavor.
How can you help?
- Personally or corporately make a gift to the Building Fund
- Make a one to three year pledge to the Building Fund. Contact Laurel at 360-533-1064 to discuss this.
- With the help of the Capital Team, host a gathering to introduce the Heron Street Project to individuals, organizations and corporations within your sphere of influence. Contact Laurel for more information.
Options for Donating to the Capital Campaign:
1) Mail a check marked "Building" - please send to:
Union Gospel Mission
PO Box 859
Aberdeen WA 98520