Razor clam dig continues through the weekend for Twin Harbors, Long Beach (NO Mocrocks or Copalis)
To participate in the upcoming dig, anglers must have an applicable 2009-10 fishing license, since April 1 marked the beginning of a new license year, Ayres said. A license is required for anyone age 15 or older. Anglers can buy a combination license or an annual shellfish/seaweed license. Also available are razor-clam only licenses in annual or three-day only versions.
"We strongly advise diggers to make their purchases before heading to the beach," Ayres said. "Morning digs are very popular, and no one wants to be standing in line to buy a license at low tide."
Descriptions of the various licensing options are available on the WDFW website at fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov. A list of state license vendors is available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/lic/vendors/vendors.htm.
Harvesters are allowed to take no more than 15 razor clams and must keep the first 15 they dig, regardless of size or condition. Each digger's clams must be kept in a separate container.
Kalaloch Beach in Olympic National Park will remain closed because the clams there have not grown to harvestable size.
Ayres said more digs will likely be announced following the opener tentatively scheduled for late April. "There's a good chance we'll have enough clams to offer additional digging opportunities on some beaches in May," he said.
Scheduled April 10-12 digs:
- Friday, April 10 (7:45 a.m., -0.7 ft.) Twin Harbors
- Saturday, April 11 (8:25 a.m., -0.7 ft.) Long Beach, Twin Harbors
- Sunday, April 12 (9:05 a.m., -0.5 ft.) Long Beach, Twin Harbors
Twin Harbors extends from the mouth of Willapa Bay north to the south jetty at the mouth of Grays Harbor. Long Beach extends from the Columbia River to Leadbetter Point.
Tentatively scheduled digs for late April:
- Saturday, April 25 (7:27 a.m., -1.3 ft.) Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis, Mocrocks
- Sunday, April 26 (8:10 a.m., -1.6 ft.) Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis, Mocrocks
- Monday, April 27 (8:55 a.m., -1.7 ft.) Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis, Mocrocks