Newstalk KBKW

Hoquiam Fire Displaces Family on Thanksgiving Day

Bookmark and Share

HOQUIAM, Wash. – A Keen nose for smoke alerted a Hoquiam mother to a fire in her bedroom yesterday morning. The mother of two attempted to smother the small fire on her bed and bedsheets before she grabbed her two children and left her home located in the 400 block of “O” Street just before 9 Thursday. The Hoquiam Fire Department reports the fire could have been a lot worse; there was no working smoke detector in the home. With the damages mostly limited to the bedroom the power had to be shutoff displacing the family for the rest of the day, the Red Cross was contacted to assist with temporary housing. The Department reports the home suffered an undetermined amount of damage to the bedroom, and minor smoke damage throughout, the cause of the fire was the portable heater’s proximity to flammable materials.

Comments are closed.