Keep the Fires Burning in Your Heart, Not in Your Home
The Office of State Fire Marshal offers the following candle safety tips to help you and your Valentine have a safe and happy Valentine’s Day:
- • Always keep burning candles within sight and use candles only in rooms where there is a responsible adult to control and oversee the flame.
- • Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep and do not use candles in sleeping areas.
- • Keep candles away from combustibles such as clothing, books, decorations, window blinds, and curtains.
- • Keep candles away from high-traffic areas where they can be easily knocked over, including any area accessible to children or pets.
- • Place candles on stable surfaces in non-tip sturdy holders that grip the candle.
- • Place candles in holders that can’t burn and are big enough to collect dripping wax.
- • Use extreme caution if you carry a lit candle, holding it away from clothing and any combustibles that may be near your path of travel.
Information on candle safety may be found on the following websites: www.usfa.dhs.gov; www.candles.org; and www.nfpa.org.