WSDOT offers grants for Safe Routes to School projects
Eligible Safe Routes projects are those within two miles of primary and middle schools (grades K-8), and that address engineering solutions, educational and encouragement programs, and law enforcement efforts. Review criteria for the applications are also based on project readiness and need or potential impact.
More detailed information about the grant program and the application process is available on WSDOT’s website at www.wsdot.wa.gov/LocalPrograms/SafeRoutes/CallForProjects.
Applications for Safe Routes to School project grants are due to WSDOT on May 3, 2010.
In addition to the Safe Routes to School funding program, WSDOT’s Highways and Local Programs is working to increase safety for pedestrians and bicyclists by:
· Working with schools to develop school walk route plans.
· Providing information about walking and biking to the public.
· Researching bicycle and pedestrian issues.
· Working with local communities to improve conditions for biking and walking through design assistance.
· Conducting bicycle and pedestrian related trainings and workshops.