Grays Harbor County EMS Warns Dangers Involved With Extreme Cold Temperatures

   The indoor use of any Fuel Powered Portable Heater is EXTREMELY dangerous. Grays Harbor County Emergency Management recommends that you DO NOT USE any fuel powered portable heating equipment in your home. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, invisible gas that can kill. Carbon Monoxide is produced when burning fuels such as gasoline, propane, oil, kerosene, natural gas, coal or wood. Even though this practice may seem strange, ALWAYS LEAVE A WINDOW OPEN ½ TO 1” for ventilation if you use these types of heaters. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can strike suddenly and without warning. Physical symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning may include headache, nausea, vomiting, lethargy and fatigue. If you or a family member believes that they could be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, get out of the property and call 911 immediately from a neighbor’s home. NEVER refill any fuel powered portable heater indoors!

 NEVER use your oven, range or stove to heat your home. Open flames and hot burners are dangerous. Leaving the oven door open is also a dangerous practice.

 Grays Harbor County Emergency Management is requesting that all residents with fireplaces, have their chimney and flue checked regularly for missing mortar, bird nests etc. Chimney fires are common and can cause extensive damage to your home and harm to your family. Remember to extinguish all fires prior to going to sleep.