Grease fire escalates, displaces family of 6 in Aberdeen

AFD Stock

Firefighters were called to a house fire in the 1000 block of Marion street in Aberdeen Sunday afternoon. Battalion Chief Bill Mayne said a grease fire escalated quickly on the stovetop around 1:30 Sunday. The family of 2 adults and 4 children evacuated and reported no injuries, but were also displaced by the fire. Mayne estimated damages at over $70-thousand, and said the American Red Cross is assisting the family.
Mayne said when dealing with cooking oil fires use another pan to smother it, or an ABC rated fire extinguisher once everyone else has evacuated.

AFD Stock