Grant From Grays Harbor Community Foundation Helps to Fund Position at Aberdeen Community Court

A grant from the Grays Harbor Community Foundation will help to fund the thriving Community Court program in Aberdeen.

Court Administrator Tammy Sund said in a press release that the Aberdeen Municipal Court received the $21,000 grant in October, it will fund 30% of the Judicial Coordinator position.

Aberdeen Community Court is supported by over a dozen local social service agencies which gather weekly at the Coastal Community Action Program building to offer participants a wide array of services to address hunger, homelessness, unemployment, mental illness, and substance use.

The grant will be used to fund 30 percent of the Community Court Judicial Coordinator, the caseworker responsible for assisting participants from entry until graduation. The remaining 70 percent of the cost of the position is provided by Great Rivers Behavioral Health Organization.

This problem-solving therapeutic court addresses the enduring misdemeanant crime problem in Aberdeen.

Since its inception in February 2017, over 50 defendants have entered into Community Court, each with individualized action plans to address the root causes of their criminal behavior. To date, nineteen participants have graduated, and over 150 community service hours have been performed.

Aberdeen Community Court is held on Mondays at 2:30 at the Aberdeen Courthouse.

Comments