Chicken Coop to Blame for South Aberdeen Fire

No injuries were reported at the scene of a fire in Aberdeen yesterday afternoon. Crews were called to the 900 block of Fordney Street around 12:45 Sunday to the report of heavy smoke coming from an attached shop at the rear of a single story home.

Battalion Chief Damon Lillybridge said from the scene that the fire had extended into and through the shop causing extensive heat damage. Lyllibridge said they were able to dowse the flames and keep the fire from spreading into the home.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a heat lamp that was being used in a chicken coop. Six chickens died in the fire.

- Advertisement -

Units were on scene for about an hour and a half as they needed help from Aberdeen Police to detain some dogs that were in the yard before crews could get access to the fire.

A total of 8 Aberdeen firefighters, and to 2 Hoquiam Firefighters with 1 Command Unit, 3 Engines, 1 Medic Unit responded.

The fire damage is estimated at $20,000 for the attached shop and $20,000 for the contents that included two quad motorcycles and shop tools.

Comments