Aberdeen Transient Arrested After Police Say He Assaulted Hoquiam Officer

A 19-year-old transient was arrested on charges of assaulting and disarming an officer after police say he resisted arrest and struck Hoquiam Police Sgt. Mitchell several times in the head before running last week.

Sgt. Mitchell was on patrol last Wednesday near the bus mall when he saw a suspicious man ducking in an out of several locations before running. The Sgt. located the subject between two buildings in the 500 block of J Street. He attempted to detain the man for trespassing.

Sgt. Mitchell applied one handcuff before the man started to physically resist. When warned that he would be tased, the man calmed down, then suddenly spun around and punched the officer in the head.

- Advertisement -

During the struggle that followed, the suspect took the seargent’s Taser while he used the single handcuff as a weapon. The suspect used the Taser like a hammer to hit the sergeant in the head. Mitchell was a ble to keep the man from getting on top of him, but that allowed him to escape with one handcuff still attached.

Additional units from Hoquiam, Aberdeen, The Sheriff’s Office and State Patrol responded to search for the suspect. GH Transit and area schools were notified and Central School was placed in lock-down. Despite an extensive canine search the man was not located.

Sgt. Mitchell was treated at the scene by the Hoquiam Fire Department for abrasions, bumps and bruises to his head, elbows and knees as a result of the assault.

The suspect had dropped his backpack during the fight. Officers spent the night cross-checking names, aliases and Facebook pages until they were able to identify the 19-year old Aberdeen transient wanted on outstanding felony and misdemeanor warrants.

The following day, Sgt. Mitchell located the man at a home in the 100 block of Eisenhower Street and arrested him without incident.

The suspect told detectives he was aware of the warrant, but denied assaulting the sergeant. He told police he cut off the handcuffs and threw them in the river.

He was booked on charges including felony 3rd-degree assault of a police officer, disarming an officer, obstructing and resisting arrest, as well as the outstanding felony probation warrant.