Hoquiam house fire appears to have started on self-cleaning oven

HOQUIAM, Wash. – Firefighters pushed through a smoke-filled duplex in the 2400 block of Cherry Street this afternoon to dowse a kitchen fire, just minutes before it took root in the framing. Hoquiam Fire Captain John Bickar tells us it appears the fire started on the top of the stove, where someone was using the self-clean feature of the oven below. The fire spread to the kitchen cabinets and ceiling, but didn’t do any structural damage. No injuries were reported.
Bickar said the smoke was banked from the ceiling to floor when they first arrived, the 2-alarm fire was pulled back after they got control and visibility, Aberdeen units assisted with ventilation. It was called in around 1:40 p.m. and cleared before 4 Monday afternoon.
Bickar said the families affected had nearby housing available. Their home suffered extensive heat and smoke damage, with estimates around $100-thousand on the first floor, and an upstairs apartment.
They rescued a young dog and confirmed a cat died, another cat might have escaped.