Couple Interviewed in Ocean Shores Homicide Investigation

OCEAN SHORES, Wash. – Detectives have interviewed a 21 year old female and her boyfriend in the homocide investigation that begun Friday evening when a woman discovered the remains of a newborn baby on an Ocean Shores property. Hoquiam Police Chief Jeff Myers tells us as a result of citizen tips , investigators developed a possible identification of the birth mother Saturday, at the nearby Oasis Motel, where it’s believed the baby was born. Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s as well as Aberdeen and Hoquiam detectives are aiding in the investigation.
Myers said the body was discovered Friday evening when a woman walking her dog in the 200 block of Fisher Avenue NE, noticed a rag hanging on a branch. This area of the street is lined with unimproved lots with trees and brush. 
Fisher Avenue NE is south of the Ocean Shores Airport off of Duck Lake Drive.
The woman looked into the brush and saw what she thought was the body of an infant. She summoned an off-duty Ocean Shores fire fighter/ paramedic who lives in the immediate neighborhood to check. He and paramedics from the Ocean Shores Fire Department checked the body and determined the infant was dead.
It appeared the child had been very recently born. There was no evidence the birth had occurred at the location. However, there was noted trauma to the body.
Ocean Shores Police responded to the scene and secured it pending the arrival of a deputy coroner from the Grays Harbor County Coroner’s Office. Ocean Shores PD is investigating the scene with the assistance of detectives from the Hoquiam Police Department and the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Department.
The Coroner’s Office removed the body and made arrangements for an autopsy to determine the cause of death. It is expected this will take place in the next few days. The Coroner’s Office will be responsible to release any information as to identification or to notify any next-of-kin.
Due to inclement weather conditions at the time, including heavy rain and wind, the scene was secured overnight by Ocean Shores PD. This incident was considered a homicide investigation pending a determination from the Coroner’s Office.
Investigators returned to the scene this morning, Saturday April 6, 2013 at 8:00 AM to search for latent evidence. The trees and brush around where the body was found were cleared during the evidence search. The location was measured and evidence was collected.

The investigation is ongoing and there will be more information provided as it becomes available.