Coiled Extension Cord Likely Cause of Aberdeen House Fire

ABERDEEN, Wash. – A coiled extension cord is believed to be the cause of a house fire yesterday that gutted a home on 6th avenue in Aberdeen. The two-story home was fully involved when fire crews arrived just after 11 Monday morning. The home’s occupants were outside when responders arrived. 

Upon arrival the structure was fully involved and the decision was made to fight the fire defensively and protect any nearby exposures. The fire was managed at a 2nd alarm level. 21 firefighters from the Aberdeen fire Department, the Aberdeen Fire Chief and Assistant Chief, along with one Engine from Hoquiam Fire Dept. with two firefighters responded.

 Battalion Chief Damon Lillybridge said “Our main priority was fire control and extinguishment. The involved building was a complete loss and it took approximately one hour to bring the fire under control. There were no injuries resulting from this incident.

 The cause of the fire appears to be electrical in nature resulting from a coiled extension cord under clothing and other miscellaneous materials.