The UTC urges Washington citizens to do their homework before hiring a mover:
- Verify the mover’s permit and complaint history with the UTC.
- Compare costs; get at least two written estimates.
- Check with online reviews and complaints lodged against the mover.
- Know the mover’s full name, address and phone number.
- Get a written, signed inventory list from the company of all belongings being loaded.
The UTC is the state agency in charge of enforcing consumer protection and safety regulations for more than 200 residential moving companies operating within the state. Movers are required to get a permit from the UTC, charge appropriate rates, carry proper insurance and keep their vehicles safely maintained. The commission does not regulate interstate moving companies.