House Fire Lesson: Smoke Detectors Save Lives And Money

ABERDEEN, Wash. – Sleeping while cooking was the cause of a kitchen fire that caused about $3,000 in damages to an Aberdeen home early yesterday morning, but lack of a smoke detector is likely what made it worse. Battallion Commander Bill Mayne tells us the fire started just before 3 Sunday morning when one of four residents began cooking, then fell asleep. Mayne said had a working smoke alarm been in the rental, it probably would have alerted residents long before the fire caused any damages.


News Director of Jodesha Broadcasting since October 2007. Dave Haviland moved to Grays Harbor in 1979 and graduated from Aberdeen High School in 1993.