Wind Advisory Monday

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible gas that can kill. Carbon monoxide comes from burning fuels such as gasoline, propane, oil, kerosene, natural gas, coal or wood. Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable:

  • Only use portable generators outdoors and far from open windows and vents.
  • Never use a generator indoors, in garages or carports.
  • Never use a gas or charcoal grill, hibachi, or portable propane heater to cook indoors or heat your home.
  • If you use a portable space heater indoors, be sure to leave a window open 1-2” to provide ventilation. Never fill a Space Heater indoors!

Carbon monoxide poisoning can strike suddenly and without warning. Physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include splitting headache, nausea, vomiting, lethargy and fatigue. If you or a family member believes that they could be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, get out of the property and call 911 immediately from a neighbor’s home.

- Advertisement -


Never Go Near a Fallen Power Line

If you encounter a fallen power line, STAY AWAY! Wet ground can conduct the electricity and it may arc to your body if you get too close. If you find a fallen power line, call 911 and STAY AWAY!


If Power Goes Out, Keep Your Food Safe

  • Keep the doors closed on your refrigerators and freezers as much as possible. This keeps the cold air inside. A full freezer can stay at freezing temperatures about two days; a half-full freezer about 1 day.
  • If you think the power will be out for several days, try to find some ice to pack inside your refrigerator. Remember to keep your raw foods separate from your ready-to-eat foods.
  • Refrigerated foods should be safe as long as the power is out no more than a few hours and the refrigerator/freezer doors have been kept closed. Potentially hazardous foods, such as meat and fish, should be discarded if they warm up above 41º F.
  • Frozen foods that remain frozen are not a risk. If potentially hazardous foods are thawed, but are still cold or have ice crystals on them, you should use them as soon as possible. If potentially hazardous foods are thawed and are warmer than 41º F, you should discard them.